This blog post details the syllabus from my winter wellness workshops. The next dates are 1/9 and 2/6. Look at https://chiforhealing.com/pages/calendar for more information and to register.
Part of the registration includes an immunity tonic tincture delivered to your home!
Topics to be discussed
- Chinese medicine as related to immunity- In Chinese medicine the element that represents fall is metal. The organs associated with metal are lung and large intestine. These organs represent our immune system. Wei qi is a barrier around our organs and particularly our lungs that protects us from external pathogens invading our bodies. The body part associated with metal is the nose. This is why people that have sinus issues their issues tend to be worse in the fall. It can be easier for us to catch colds during this time. Especially with the fluctuation in temperatures and the blustery wind that can break through our protective barrier and allow sickness to penetrate our body. During this time of year I recommend that you are prepared to bundle up and protect the back of your head. This is your wind gate where all pathogens enter the body. we will explain more about this in the workshop.
- Specific acupoints on the meridians of the body for immunity Acupoints-Gallbladder 20, Stomach 36, Lung 1, Large intestine 10,11, Bladder 11,12,13, 43,
- Guasha translates to scraping. Oil is applied to the skin and then a tool is used to rub an area of the body. When used around the neck it will open up lymphatic system and bring blood to the surface to promote the body’s ability to heal itself. It can alleviate pain, pull out toxins, and boost the immune system.
- Fire Cupping uses glass cups and heat to create suction on the body. Fire cupping is done by putting a small flame from a cotton swab into the glass cup for a second and putting the cup directly on the skin. The heat creates the suction which pulls out inflammation, toxins, and boosts the immune system. Cupping can clear out dampness in the lungs so it is beneficial if you have a cold, cough, and flu.
- Chinese herbal formulas- yin chiao, subdue headwind, dispel invasion, initial defense, antiphlogistic, Zhong gan ling, Gan Mao ling
- Dietary recommendations and supplements to enhance immunity. B12, Vitamin D3, Zinc No dairy, Gluten, Processed foods. Eat more organic fruits and vegetables.
- Medicinal aromatherapy to enhance immunity. Balsam Fir, White Pine, Blue Spruce, Rosemary, Eucalyptus All of these essences are great for the immune system. They are very camphorous and can help open up the sinuses and bronchioles. They can also help with other symptoms like headaches, coughs, and sore throats.
- The healing properties of herbs
- Elderberries- Sambucus Nigra The berries have been used as a cold and flu remedy when made into a syrup or infusion. They can help to reduce a fever and can be used as a cough expectorant. They also have anti-oxidants and are good for the immune system. Just as effective as tamiflu in alleviating flu symptoms.
- Astragalus root- Astragalus membranaceous huang qi yellow root that boosts energy. #1 herb to support the Wei qi of the immune system. Only take as a tonic for prevention. Never take when you are sick because it can hold the pathogen in the body.
- Rose hips- Rosa Multiflora or Rosa Rubiginosa 3 rose hips have just as much vitamin C as a small orange.
- Lemon balm- Melissa Officianalis great anti-viral herb. Also being in the mint family it can clear the heat of a fever.
- Cinnamon Bark- Cinnamomum Cassia Brings heat to the core to protect you from the cold
- Ginger root zingiber officinale- Great warming herb that can also help to clear out pathogens
- Licorice Root- Glycyrrhiza Glabra Gan cao Anti-viral herb that is a harmonizer for all the other herbs to work together as a formula
- Medicinal mushrooms- Reishi mushroom is a polypore mushroom. Ganorderma Tsugae is the latin name. Chinese Pinyin is Ling Zhi. In the northeast USA they grow on dead hemlock trees from June-September depending on the weather. Reishi is a great liver detox and is used for calming the heart. It is also a tonic for the spleen and lungs. Turkey tail mushrooms Trametes versicolor- are harvested on hardwood trees in late summer. It is anti-cancer and great for the immune system. All medicinal mushrooms are great for immunity but these two are particularly amazing!